2011 is now all part of the past, and 2012 is the present we need to face. For the past years, there have been numerous tax-related crimes emerging especially when the deadline for tax-filing is coming ahead. Even if a fresh year is ahead, there are some things that can’t easily change. Unlike clocks and calendars that rapidly change its numbers, humans as well as their deeds can’t swap in a second. With the 2012 tax-filing deadline fast approaching, tax-related crimes are increasing. At the same time, the IRS is doing its task to avoid tax scammers on doing illegal actions.
The IRS is giving out each year the top list of tax scams. This list is the most common and possibly the worst scams the IRS encounters. To name few of the tax crimes included in the list, here aresix of the following:
- The IRS must prepare federal tax returns for a taxpayer who fails to file.
- Only foreign-source income is taxable.
- African Americans and Native Americans can claim a special tax credit as reparations for slavery and other representative statement.
- Taxpayers can refuse to pay income taxes on religious or moral grounds by evoking the First Amendment.
- Federal income taxes constitute a “taking” of property without due process of law, violating the Fifth Amendment.
- Taxpayers do not have to file returns or provide financial information because of the protection against self-incrimination found in the Fifth Amendment.
The IRS commissioner, Doug Shulman, said that taxpayers must not be enticed on those tempting deals knowing that it’s too good to be true. Taxpayers should examine well first the truth behind every deal to avoid any conflicts. The IRS is doing its part to give taxpayers the appropriate knowledge for them to feign ignorance upon this kind of matter.